Physci

Shining Some Light On The Recent Events 75

Hey guys...what a day it has been. I'm going to be fully transparent in this post in order to explain the situation that we're in.

Obviously, SOTW did not go according to plan. For the first 2 and a half hours, the server was unplayable. As I was writing a post saying that we were going to postpone Teams until further notice, my staff told me that the server was starting to become stable. And eventually, it did. I realize there are still lag issues right now, but it does not compare to the <10 TPS that we had for over an hour. The main reason for this is that we are running a 1.8 Spigot, which is still fairly new to us. This spigot still has a lot of issues with it (evidently), and we're still working on fixing them.

Now, why a 1.8 Spigot? We are in a unique position where we are able to almost identically revert the crappy 1.8.9 PvP mechanics back to 1.7.10 while running a 1.8 server (thanks to Lunar Client). To my knowledge, no one in our community has been in that position. Our vision for the future is to actually update and fundamentally change HCF and get it out of the stale state that its in. We believe that this cannot be done on 1.7.10 due to the various limitations that are present. This is on top of the fact that 1.7.10 is an extremely old version that is used by a very small percentage of the Minecraft community.

To put this into perspective, let me give you guys a few numbers. In the last 6 months, Viper, Lunar, Faithful, MMC, and VeltPvP have not been able to exceed 5,000 concurrent players combined. Today those five servers peaked just shy of 5,500 players, and that is because of the extreme and unprecedented circumstances that are currently happening around the world. If we go back a few years, 1.7.10 and HCF servers were still very much "alive" (i.e: Kohi, MineHQ, Badlion, and even some current ones). Hypixel, (a server that does not even allow 1.7 connections), is peaking at nearly 100,000 players. So yeah, we do want to get out of 1.7.10, but we are facing many challenges in doing so.

I also see a lot of posts saying "Server xyz can hold 700+ players with little lag, why can't Lunar!?" There are many reasons for this, one is that some servers go to extreme measures in order to "prevent" lag, such as: having no mobs in the map and only cow spawners, making it so no one is visible for the first 500-750 blocks from spawn, making the view distance 1 chunk, etc.. These are all things we can hypothetically do, however, I do not think a solution should be to make the game feel even less natural than it already is. Another reason is that they are running a 1.7.10 spigot. You guys may not remember, but we also held 600+ people on SOTW Map 1 and 2.

Moving forward, does this mean that every SOTW is going to lag? Well, no. We will be having a meeting with our Head Staff and Development team in order to discuss our next steps. If we absolutely cannot figure these issues out, we will take the necessary steps and make out plugins run on 1.7 instead of on 1.8. However, in our eyes, that is a step backward, and not forwards. We will keep you guys updated on this matter.

On a more positive note, I want to thank all of you for over 1,000 players on the network and thousands more on the client (these numbers are still private). I'm sorry that our releases haven't always been the smoothest, but we're not giving up. We will always strive to make the best possible server and client, and none of it would be possible without you guys.... so for that, I thank you.

~Matt
Are you sure?
Please login to reply to this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone below this comment is immune to Coronavirus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you sure?
Yes
Are you sure?
yayyyy
Are you sure?
yay!
Are you sure?
Oh, and by the way, for those asking about the Voxey situation: I really do not care that he is going out of his way to trash talk. He needs some serious help (and I'm being 100% serious) if he can sit there and threaten to swat, kill, and dox people for hours on end.

The server was lagging for EVERYONE, not just him. He didn't even get banned for shit talking, he got banned because he literally asked: https://prnt.sc/ron218

I instructed my staff to not punish players for trash talking the server/us, because I would be frustrated as well if I was in your guys' position (and I have been).
Are you sure?
L dance to voxey < 3 Physci
Are you sure?
MD
Are you sure?
LOOL
Are you sure?
w
Are you sure?
Congrats on the 1k I have a screenshot of 1k exactly if you would like it here https://gyazo.com/7a489bf10ac0e7e74b74ad6ff2dc6ef0

most server owners wouldn't admit this was there side and would blame it on some random d dosser and I respect you for saying it was lunars fault and not some rp hacker thanks for the constant updates and don't stop pushing 1.8 I think the changes are worth it keep up the good work glad lunar has made it this far and everyone in the community is even if we don't always show it
Are you sure?
You guys are doing great, keep doing what yall are doing and help revive our community.
Are you sure?
أعطني رتبة أسطورة دائمة من فضلك أو ستكون هناك عواقب وخيمة
Are you sure?
Imagine asking for legend rank...
Are you sure?
mf above me spittin truths
Are you sure?
indeed, a very interesting take on the matter
Are you sure?
My reaction exactly. Thankyou.
Are you sure?
when will the numbers of bans players online ect be avalible on the website?
Are you sure?
unbaneame cabron porfa we
Are you sure?
I have a question...do you love me?
Are you sure?
Yikes
Are you sure?
i can't wait to see what you guys have in store. i used to hate the idea of 1.8 hcf but you guys make it feel just like 1.7, and i understand how much easier it is to get players in 1.8 and mod/change 1.8
Are you sure?
When are you going to make ban list reset ?
Are you sure?
Messed up the whole map
Are you sure?
LOL
others servers already tried what you're doing right now ( making a 1.7.10 pvp on more recent versions ) and it's absolutely garbage and unplayable
The pvp just can't feel like 1.7
I hope you know what you're doing, risky move here
Are you sure?
Those other servers didn’t have a client to help revert pvp mechanics.

“We are in a unique position where we are able to almost identically revert the crappy 1.8.9 PvP mechanics back to 1.7.10 while running a 1.8 server (thanks to Lunar Client).“
Are you sure?
They actually do, it's 1.9.4 claimed as 1.7.10 pvp tho ( not 1.8.9 as you guys are trying to do )
Their devs worked on the client for 4 years and it's still trash and it will never feel like true 1.7, I guess you're doing same
I hope you prove me wrong
Are you sure?
I don't think you're understanding what he's saying.

Lunar is able to make the efforts to revert 1.8 > 1.7 due to the fact they have a client, meaning they can potentially edit it client side. I am not sure how EXACT they can make it to 1.7, but it's surely a lot better than using plugins to revert the mechanics of 1.8 pvp back to 1.7 which is obviously not going to be the same.
Are you sure?
Daddy
Are you sure?
Keep up the great work!
Are you sure?
love u physci
Are you sure?
Go loco
Are you sure?
we forgive you
Are you sure?
Good shit matt you have simply revived hcf (nowhere near where it was before) but we all will remember your existence and ur snapback hat G <3
Are you sure?
Thank you.
Are you sure?
<3
Are you sure?
Congratz man well deserved
Are you sure?
When will the unprotected proxy be back up? It recently went down :((
Are you sure?
Either tomorrow or Monday. If it was up today, it would have most likely been hit offline.
Are you sure?
Thank you Physci :))
Are you sure?
:)
Are you sure?
I understand why you would want to expand to 1.8 for hcf, but why uhc? 1.8 does nothing to change uhc, instead why don't you guys have players from the 1.8 client log onto a 1.7 generated world (which should hopefully not lag and is probably easier to do). And because everyone is using a client, you can make the pvp the same on 1.7 and 1.8.
Are you sure?
how many uhc servers still run a 1.7 spigot? I am struggling to think of any
Are you sure?
Because its not ideal to maintain two separate spigots.
Are you sure?
When will UHC be a thing
Are you sure?
oh ok, thanks for responding.
Are you sure?
please dont go out of 1.7 :(
Are you sure?
pretty sure a good portion of the community already plays on the new 1.8.9
Are you sure?
~25% of our entire client plays on 1.7

~70% of our entire server plays on 1.8

You guys ask for change, but aren't willing to take the first step :(